Congratulations to all of our 2015 Nightingale Award Recipients, and Hall of Fame Inductees!
Visit the Photo Gallery to see pictures of our winners
**Nurse of Distinction Award**
Peggy “Denise” Adams, BSN, RN-BC, University of Mississippi Medical Center
Advanced Practice Nurse of the Year
James Polson, DNP, NP-C, University of Mississippi Medical Center
Hospital of the Year
Baptist Memorial Hospital Desoto, Southaven, MS
Inpatient Clinical Practice Nurse of the Year
Dennis Demesa, BSN, RN, CPEN, University of Mississippi Medical Center
Nurse Educator of the Year
Erica Lynette Dupree, MSN, BS, RN-BC, Baptist Health Systems
Nurse Faculty Member of the Year
Deborah Yoder Miranda, PhD, RN, Mississippi University for Women
Nurse Innovator of the Year
Sheila P. Davis, PhD, RN, FAAN, FNP-C, The University of Southern Mississippi College of Nursing
Nurse Manager of the Year
Sharon Biegel Busby, MHSA, RN, Mississippi Baptist Medical Center
Nurse Mentor of the Year
Shasta Faulkner, BSN, RN, TNCC, Baptist Memorial Hospital Desoto
Nurse in Non-Traditional Setting
Joy Akanji, MSN, RN-BC, University of Mississippi Medical Center
Nurse Rookie of the Year
Mark “Adyn” Dancy, ADN, RN, EMT-B, University of Mississippi Medical Center
Nurse Team of the Year
Chronic Care Clinic Heart Failure Team, St. Dominic Hospital
Nursing Administrator of the Year
Brenda Ann Howie, MSN, BSN, RN, NE-BC, Mississippi Baptist Health Systems
Outpatient Clinical Practice Nurse of the Year
Adrienne Russell, MSN, RN, CBPN-IC, Mississippi Baptist Medical Center
Outstanding Community Achievement Award
Irish Patrick-Williams, PhD, MSN, RN, CRRN, CFN, Hinds Community College Nursing Allied Health Center
School of Nursing Administrator of the Year
Janet K. Williams, PhD, MBA, RN, William Carey University
School of Nursing of the Year, BSN
William Carey University Joseph and Nancy Fail School of Nursing
2015 HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES
Miriam Sue Ables Cabana, FNP, RN (Posthumously) University of Southern Mississippi College of Nursing
Martha Catlette, PhD, RN Retired from Coahoma Community College School of Nursing
AMERICAN NURSES CREDENTIALING CENTER
has awarded the
Mississippi Nurses’ Foundation
Reaccreditation as an Approval Unit with Distinction!
Dear Nurses and Friends of Nursing,
The American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) has awarded Mississippi Nurses’ Foundation reaccreditation as an Approver Unit (with Distinction) of continuing nursing education for four years. The Accreditation with Distinction is the highest recognition awarded by ANCC.
I want to thank Dr. Susan Hart for leading the team to this distinction. I also want to thank Dr. Renee Williams from University of Mississippi Center School of Nursing, Lana Burnet from North Mississippi Medical Center, Ka Russum from Forrest General Hospital, Pat Clemen from Sta-Home, and Kasey Dorr from the Mississippi Nurses’ Foundation for taking time to support MNF in the review process and during the virtual site visit.
I also want to thank the Approver Unit members for reviewing applications and providing feedback during this enormous task.
Thank you all for your service.
Mississippi Nurses Project
View the Mississippi Nurses Foundation annual report for the Mississippi State Department of Health Office of Tobacco Control: Tobacco-Free Mississippi…Engaging Mississippi’s Nurses Project by clicking the link below.
It is an honor for me to write about the successes of the Mississippi Nurses Foundation and how your support and contributions Touched Lives. The vision of MNF is to be the charitable organization in the state of Mississippi that is most infuential in impacting the professional image of nursing, sponsoring continuing nursing education, and funding for nursing.
With that vision in mind, we engaged some extraordinary nurses and friends of nurses throughout the state of Mississippi:
- We expanded our Nurses Car Tag program by increasing the number of scholarships to schools of nursing; which support nurses in advancing their education.
- We collaborated with professionals from varied disciplinces of nursing and friends of nursing to assist us in creating a more visible presence within our community. For example, we engaged more non-healthcare organizations to participate in our annual Nightingale Awards Gala, we continued our partnership with Paul Moak Volvo, we increased the number of speaking engagements where we share MNF with others; and we were able to share the services and programs of the Foundation across the state.
- We supported new organizatons in developing quality continuing education courses for registered nurses in Mississippi.
- We rallied with some amazing school nurses and friends of nursing to assist in revising the School Nurse Procedure and Standard of Care Manual for our children.
- We continued our collaboration with the Mississippi Department of Health Office of Tobacco Control to engage nursing students and nurses about the dangers of tobacco usage.
With your continued support and tax-deductible donations we will continue to expand our program and increase the number of scholarhships that are awarded annually.